Sturgeon County Council Recap | September 8, 2020
Highlights from the September 8, 2020 Sturgeon County Council meeting.
Here are the highlights from the September 8, 2020 Sturgeon County Council meeting:
- Mayor Hnatiw proclaimed that:
- Second Reading: Animal Control Bylaw (1508/20)
Council approved the second reading of the Animal Control Bylaw. The existing Animal Control Bylaw was last reviewed in 2002. Since that time, several changes have occurred throughout the County, including a full re-write of the Land Use Bylaw. On June 30, 2020, Council passed first reading of Bylaw 1508/20 with amendments. As a result of comments received from Council and through public input, and further review of the bylaw’s content, the following amendments were incorporated on September 8:
- Section 2.4 - added “Communicable Diseases” definition
- Section 2.21 - updated reference for “Provincial Offences Procedure Act”
- Section 4.3 - updated reference for “Alberta Stray Animals Act”
- Section 5.6 - removed, “No person shall slaughter or attempt to euthanize an Urban Hen on the property”
- Section 5.9 - added, “Egg production is for self-consumption. No sale of eggs is permitted”
- Section 7.2 - maximum number of units for parcels 2.4 ha in size or larger increased from 5 to 10 and additional provisions for offspring added (colts and calves)
- Section 7.4 - added “Other types of animals not listed above or animal operations of a size in excess of those listed above may be considered on a discretionary use basis upon the issuance of a development permit”
- Section 8 -added new section, “Communicable Diseases Related to Animals”
- Section 11.1 - updated reference for “Provincial Offences Procedure Act”
- Section 11.5 - removed
- Schedule “A” – updated numbering and formatting to reflect proposed changes in body of the bylaw.
The revised bylaw is available here.
- Renewal of Fire Services Agreement with the Summer Villages of Sandy Beach and Sunrise Beach
Council renewed the agreements to see fire and rescue services continue to be provided by Sturgeon County for the next three years. Services to each summer village will primarily be provided by the District of Calahoo Fire and Morinville Fire Departments.
- 2020 Public Sale of Land
Council approved the conditions of sale and the reserve bid identified in the 2020 Public Sale of Land Report for the Public Tax Recovery Property Auction to be held in the Cardiff Room at the Sturgeon County Centre on Wednesday, December 2, 2020 at 10:00 a.m. The public auction must proceed in person. However, Administration will ensure all health directives in place at that time are adhered to.
- Telecommunication Facility and Antenna System Policy
Council approved the Telecommunication Facility and Antenna System Policy which establishes the terms of the public consultation process, the authority with jurisdiction in these matters (the federal government), the extent to which the County will be involved, and what type of formal documentation the County will provide indicating that the proponent has completed the public consultation process. This new policy clarifies the approval process and ensures that sufficient and proper public consultation occurs before any telecommunication tower/antenna project is started.
- Application to Operate a Commercial School
Council approved the Development Permit for the Interior Heavy Equipment Operator School. The school will offer hands-on equipment training for excavation and construction equipment operators looking to be employed in the forestry, mining, civil, road building and oil and gas sectors.
- Second and Third Reading for Amendments to Land Use Bylaw
This is a follow-up to the broad updates to the Land Use Bylaw Sturgeon County Council made in 2017. As part of that update, Council gave second and third reading to re-district a property from Agriculture District to Recreational Vehicle Storage District.
Next Council Meeting
The next Sturgeon County Council meeting will be held at 9:00 a.m. on September 22, 2020.
Future agendas and past meeting minutes can be found online at https://sturgeoncounty.ca.legistar.com/Calendar.aspx